Tonight's the night! Agent-judged contest will open tonight at 9 PM EST. Details below.
Agent Kathleen Ortiz of Lowenstein Associates will be judging our next contest. Here are the deets:
- Opens Tuesday June 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM EST
- Only 100 entries will be accepted
- Genres: Young Adult and Middle Grade only (next month's contest will be adult only.)
- You must be a follower of the QueryTracker blog, widget at right.
To enter the contest:
- You must have a free QueryTracker membership
- You must submit a one-sentence pitch (helpful links below) and your first chapter
- Your submission will be accepted on the submission form (won't be available until the contest opens)
- DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SUBMISSION DIRECTLY TO THE AGENT. You will be disqualified if you do.
This contest is not for whiners! It is only open to those who are willing to receive honest feedback. Ms. Ortiz will:
- Treat every entry as a partial submission (therefore you must only enter if you, in Ms. Ortiz's words "for the LOVE OF GODIVA," have a completed MS)
- Read every entry TO THE POINT SHE WOULD NORMALLY STOP READING on a partial submission
- She will tell you why she stopped reading
- She will request more of the manuscript only if it is something she would normally request.
Helpful links on pitching at Elana Johnson's blog.
Literary agent Laura Rennert helps you build your pitch.
Literary agent Rachelle Gardner reveals the secrets of a great pitch.
Also, read a word about pitches and what makes them work by last month's judge, Chris Richman.
Good luck! And let us know if you have any questions.