QueryTracker Blog

Helping Authors Find Literary Agents

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Introducing The New QT3


I usually leave the blogging to the Blog Team because they are so much better at it than I am. But, this was a special occasion and I thought it was time to come out of seclusion and say a few words.

And the reason for my seclusion? I've been locked away, busy writing a totally new and improved version of QueryTracker. We're calling it QT3 (and I can't wait for version 3.141593, because then we can call it QT Pi. Sorry, that's a math joke.)


I'd like to talk a bit about some of the biggest changes in QT3.

The first is aesthetic. The site got a whole new look. It was time, and it was appropriate considering all the other changes. The black quill logo has been replaced by a much more modern writing tool, which is symbolic of the modernization of QT.

Second. The new technology that went into QT3 gives the site a speed boost and a more convenient user interface. For more information about these changes, take a look at the what's new video.

Third. I resisted the idea for years because of the extra work it would generate, but the requests kept coming in and I couldn't say no any longer. So, a list of publishers has been added to the QT database. The list is short right now, because of the time it takes to research each one, and make sure they meet QT's strict requirements. This is done to protect our members. What are our requirements?

  • The publisher should accept queries from unagented authors. This rules out most of the major houses.
  • No vanity or fee charging publishers.
  • No publishers who are "Not Recommended" by Preditors & Editors, or on the Writers Beware thumbs down list.
  • The publisher should be well established with at least several published books to their credit. This is to protect members from potential scammers who are hiding behind the new publisher mask.

And finally, QT is venturing into the social networking realm. Not because it's the trendy thing to do, but because I've watched how the friendships formed on QT grew into important support and morale boosters for writers. Let's face it, the query road can be a difficult and frustrating path. It's much easier to bear when you walk it with friends who understand what you're going through. So, several new features have been added to help bring people together, including the ability to send personal messages to other users, create a personal member profile, and interact with other users in custom discussion groups.

Where we go from here is up to you, the users. I'm leaving it in your hands to tell me what is useful, and what isn't about QT3. This will allow me to focus on what you really want, and make everyone's QT experience the best it can be.

Thank you all for making QueryTracker a success, and an industry standard.

-Patrick McDonald
Creator and Proprietor of QueryTracker.net

20 comments:

lisa and laura said...

The new site and blog looks amazing guys. Nice work!

Unknown said...

You guys are awesome - it looks great!

Amanda Bonilla said...

The new site is amazing! Quick, user friendly and chocked with new stuff! I absolutely love it!

Unknown said...

This looks so good.

And--for the record--I sincerely appreciate that you're not using fee-based/vanity publishers. I respect that so much, that it is the tipping scale for me to sign up for premium membership.

Thanks for putting so much (continued) work into such a great program!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I love the new look, especially the logo. Very cool.

Myra McEntire said...

Wow! Great job, Patrick!!!

Michelle McLean said...

awesome job Pat! Everything looks incredible :)

Windy said...

The new site looks great! Yes, very modern. Love all the upgrades.

Fab job!

Elana Johnson said...

Holy cow, Pat. I had a crush before, but QT Pi?? That is beyond awesome! :)

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

Both the blog and the new QT look great! I love the easier interface. Thank you!

Paul W. West, Author said...

Great work Patrick. I love the new look. I don't have time right now to get into QT3, but I will as soon as I can.

Is there anything you can do with speeding up Rally Storm? It's a great site, but awfully slow acting.

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana said...

The new site is BEAUTIFUL! You all have done a WONDERFUL job. Thank you for all the hard work you do so the rest of us have an easier time with the querying/submission process.

Patrick said...

Hi Diana,
Did you find your information?

If you are still having problems, please send me a message with your account name. You can use the contact us page on the main site.

Rebecca Knight said...

QT Pi made me laugh out loud :D!

Thank you so much for all you do, Patrick! I'm so excited for the new features. You're right--I've met almost all of my best writer buddies using this site, so making it more social is a wonderful thing. Thanks!

Stina said...

Wow! I can't wait to start using this new version.

Christine Fonseca said...

Pi joke = hysterical!!!

The site is amazing. Great job Patrick!!!

Patrick Gabridge said...

The update looks great! I'm new to QT, but have been recommending it to everyone. It's an incredibly helpful tool. (And a delight for numbers guys like me.)

J. R. Tomlin said...

I've already told you I think you did a fantastic job, but it bears repeating. Congratulations, Patrick!

Amy Kinzer said...

Great work Patrick, love the refreshed site!

Ritrgrl