QueryTracker Blog

Helping Authors Find Literary Agents

Monday, January 4, 2010

Top 10 Lists


Do you know who the most-queried agent is? What about genres - which ones are agents requesting the most? And which agent is most likely to reject you?

The answers are just a click away. QueryTracker.net has a feature called Top Ten Lists. With over 21,000 members entering data, these lists are constantly and automatically updated to help you spot the hottest trends. And, if you're like me, you'll find them a fun place for satiating your curiosity! (To find the lists on QT's main page, just hover over "Reports" in the main bar.)


There are Top 10 Lists for the following:

  1. Most Queried Agents
  2. Most Accepting Agents (i.e. those who request most material)
  3. Most Non-Responsive Agents
  4. Most Rejecting Agents
  5. Most Popular Fiction Genres (that are submitted to agents)
  6. Most Requested Fiction Genres (requested by agents)
  7. Most Popular Non-Fiction Genres
  8. Most Requested Non-Fiction Genres

To answer the questions I posed at the beginning of this post, the number one most-queried agent is Nathan Bransford. And the genre agents request to see the most? Young Adult. As for who rejects the most queries... you'll just have to look that one up for yourself. *wink*

Wishing you all a blissful 2010 in which all your literary dreams come true.

Suzy

Suzette Saxton writes books for tots, teens, and in-betweens. She is represented by Suzie Townsend of FinePrint Literary.

13 comments:

Bethany Wiggins said...

I love reading the top ten lists. It makes me feel so much better to realize that those six agents who never responded to my query didn't have something personal against it... they just don't respond!

Unknown said...

I love the QT lists -- I noticed that some of my top 10 are on the Most Queried list but none of mine are on the Top 10 Non-Responsive list. At least I should get actual rejections instead of silence! Just trying to look at the bright side ;)

DL Hammons said...

It won't be too long before we see list like:

THE TOP TEN AGENTS WITH BAD PERSONAL HYGIENE.

THE TOP TEN CONFUSING GENERE'S.

or my personal favorite. . .

THE TOP TEN TOP TEN LISTS.

:) Thanks Suzette.

Jill said...

Cool Top Ten lists and a few things from it surprise me.

I would love to know if the Memoirs and Bio's are mostly of celebs or are there many from regular Joe Schmoe and tell the tale of his triumph over adversity, or of Jane Dough and her year of trekking in the Himilayas...

I also wonder about a few genre divisions - is Mystery really really really so separate from Thriller? As a reader I have found books in one of those headings (whether in a store or a library) and have thought it belongs in the other category...

It is good to see YA and kids' lit in demand. I hope that means we are raising a generation of bookworms!

Cheers, Jill
www.jilledmondson.com

Rebecca Knight said...

Hooray, I love lists like these :D! Yet one more reason why QT rocks.

Unknown said...

Just when I think this site is as helpful as it can get, you throw out more lists and more information. It is so wonderful. Thank you all at QT!

Buffy Andrews said...

Fascinating information. Thank you so much for sharing. Best, Buffy

Livia Blackburne said...

It'd be interesting to see the top ten genres requested as a percentage of how many queries of that genre are sent out as well. YA and Fantasy are the most requested, but they are also the most sent in as well, right?

Suzette Saxton said...

Much food for thought, everyone. Thank you!

Jemi Fraser said...

I haven't had much time to explore the site yet - thanks for the quick link to the lists! Great idea :)

Yamile said...

I've noticed on Twitter that Ginger Clark posts something like this: "If you queried me before____ and you haven't heard from, I'm passing. Sorry."
So, unless you catch the tweet and remember when you queried her, you might not know if she ever got your query.
On another note, I'm not surprised that Nathan is the most queried agent. He's my dream agent, and I guess everybody else's too.

Anonymous said...

Neat list. I love top ten lists, for sure.

Yamile--Yeah, not surprised at Nathan being the most either. . .

I was surprised to see Ginger Clark up there an unresponsive. I've had great email interaction with her and she was responsive. But, then again, I'm only one person. :-)

Have a great day!

Munk said...

Love this... wish I had found QT months ago.