QueryTracker Blog

Helping Authors Find Literary Agents

Monday, December 21, 2009

Speed Networking At Its Best!

QueryTracker.net - Not just for queries any more.

We all know that online networking is essential for writers to succeed in this modern age. So what do writers do? We haunt Facebook, Twitter, and blogs. I found myself wishing for a central listing site of WRITERS, a simple way to connect with all their sites from one single page. I wanted something that looked like this:





And then I went to the guy who could make my wish come true.


Patrick McDonald owns QueryTracker.net which, as you know, is full of writers. And so I asked: "Hey Pat, want to make my networking dreams come true?" And bless him, he consented! (The photo above shows the results!)


Now here's what you need to do join the fun:

  1. Make sure you have a membership on QueryTracker.net. It's free and easy.

  2. Update your profile (under the My Stuff tab, click Edit Profile, then click Contact Info) to include links to your Facebook*, Twitter, blog and website. (Make sure you choose to make the links visible to everyone!)

  3. Next, while still in your profile, select Genres I Write and Genres I Read, as this will help you connect with writers/readers with similar tastes. (Hint: The more genres you choose, the more people you will connect with!)


Now for the networking:
  1. Hover over the Members tab.

  2. Click on Search by Similar Likes and you are on your way!!!


Now, spread the word! More people knowing = more connections for you!

Of special note:

There is a way to keep track of who you have already connected with. When you view a QT member's links, click on Send A Penpal Request. It will change to indicate that you have connected with them.

For tips on speed networking check out Elana's post on speed blogging.

*Having a hard time learning your Facebook address? It's simple to find. While signed into Facebook, click on the PROFILE tab. Use the address that appears in your browser's window.

This is a brand new feature, so let me know if you have any questions or problems, or can think of a way to improve it. (Let's make all our networking dreams come true!) So leave a comment in this post or drop me a line: suzettesaxton@querytracker.net.


Happy networking!



Suzette Saxton writes books for tots, teens, and in-betweens. She is represented by Suzie Townsend of FinePrint Literary.

10 comments:

Stina said...

Thanks Suzette and Patrick! You've just made my New Year's resolution a whole lot easier. :D

Unknown said...

That is too cool! Thanks to all those at QueryTracker for all your hard work!

Unknown said...

Very exciting! Can't wait to get signed in.

Alyssa Kirk said...

Great idea! I've already updated my info!

Tess said...

Seriously? Just when I think you guys can't get any better over here.

Impressive.

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

I love it! Thanks!!!

Renee said...

That is super awesome!

Angela Ackerman said...

Great idea--I'm all set up! :)

Bethanne said...

Hey! Is this one of those cookie things and I'm the only one who can see my webpage...likewise, everyone else sees their own web info? Or did I get lucky? :D This is a great idea. I love QueryTracker. I would be lost without it.

Unknown said...

This is great! Thanks!